Year Purchased: 2018
Date Completed: April 2018
Aftermarket Used: Eduard Brassin shrouded exhausts
Paint: Floquil Bright silver, Xtracolour Olive Drab, various vallejo and tamiya colours used for detail painting
Construction Notes: Im loving the new Airfix kits. This is the second Ive built after the walrus. From the excellent box art to the many options included in each kit, you can tell they are designed with the modeller in mind.
Airfix's mustang was a very enjoyable build, with excellent engineering, detail and fit. That there will be other boxings is evident from the options in the kit for different windscreens, canopies and tail units. A Commonwealth boxing has already been announced. As good as the kit is, it is let down by a few parts, mainly the cross hatched wheels, where the tread just does not extend to the centre of the tyres. You will either have to source replacements, or scribe the tread in ( badly) as I did. Brassin make resin replacements, but inexplicably would have you drill out the hubs rather than use the same mounting as the kit uses. I would also recommend the Brassin M-10s as the kit ones are a little clunky.
The propeller has some sink marks on the blade tips, and the gun inserts aren't the best fit. Other than these minor quibbles, the kit is a joy.
There is some rivet detail on the wings which you will need to fill should you so desire, but the wheel wells are moulded correctly with the straight rear spar. The kit cockpit looks busy enough assembled OOB and even comes with decals for placards. When choosing a scheme, I could not go past the striking 2ACG machine with its Black Lightning bolts on wings and fuselage, and it meant I could use those M-10 airborne bazooka tubes.
Rather than use the kit decals for the arrows I had a friend cut some masks for me. Other than the black arrows, the kit decals were used and performed flawlessly.
I used Floquil Bright silver for the finish, with grey and black preshading underneath to try and get a bit of tonal variety. This will bear further experimentation as in certain light, you can see a bit of variation in the silver finish.
I decided on impulse to build the kit for an upcoming themed competition, so feel I rushed it a little bit. Everything was going fine until I applied one of the Mig Panel line washes over what I thought would be an impervious base of Future but to my horror, as well as removing the excess wash with an old T shirt, I also removed paint in some areas. This then began the downward spiral of touchups which never match. Anyway, its done, but Im annoyed that this is another finish that was going nicely until this stuff up sent it down a different path. I can only surmise my coat of future was noth thick enough