With the Walrus nearing completion, it was a good time to look at cracking open another box.
A workmate had asked me to build his Eduard boxing of the HobbyBoss 1/48 Tomcat as a VF84 jet about to be launched from the carrier. So that meant, wings spread, spoilers and flaps, down, canopy closed, with pilots, and the nose leg compressed.
As I also have a copy of this kit, I thought a side by side build would serve the purpose of getting another kit from my stash built the same time. The difference being mine would have all the panels open instead of being closed up like Jeff's build. So I’m actually cracking open two boxes!
Theres nothing like opening a box and finding a fault with the first part you cut off the sprue. I mean, really!
In this instance HobbyBoss had short shot the rear bulkhead on the cockpit tub
Luckily it was easy enough to scratch build a new one out of plasticard. Even for me!
Rather than rebuild the whole back bulkhead, I limited myself to just replacing the affected side, knowing the seated pilot would cover the part I didn’t rebuild.
that mess on the floor is from me scraping out the U shaped locator for the seat. I will be using Aerobonus seated pilots, which are cast in their own seats, hence the locators going. The wet look is due to me trying to smooth out the worst of the gouges with liquid cement . I think I expected the glue to work miracles 😀
It was a pretty confined space to get a knife and chisel into.
The above photo shows the aero bonus pilots. Whilst the casting is lovely, both crew have their helmet visors up and oxygen masks unclipped. This would not do for a jet about to launch so the O2 mask and hose was carefully scraped off, as seen on the left hand figure
I wish Aerobonus had offered additional heads with visors down and oxygen masks clipped in place. I found the figures arms also did not reach the stick and throttle lever. All in all, disappointing, given that these figures are designed specifically for the HBS Tomcat. At least the seats fit between the consoles.
In the end I used heads from the crew contained in the Academy Phantom as well as the arms for the pilot, as I could then pose him holding the actual controls.
As This jet was going to be canopy down and crewed, I decided to use just the kit cockpit without PE embellishment.
My jet was going to be canopy open, so I duly set about scraping the raised detail off the panels ready to accept the Eduard PE
In the next part, work continues on the two cockpits. It will be interesting to see the comparison between the two, with one being finished with PE and the other, paint.
I'm in my fifties and live in Regional Victoria, Australia.